Engineering Design Manager - R&D
Location: Beloit, Wisconsin US
Job Number: 18178
Engineering Design Manager, R&D
Fairbanks Morse, an EnPro Industries company, is currently seeking an Engineering Design Manager to join our R&D team in Beloit, WI. The Engineering Design Manager will mainly be responsible for providing design group leadership and executing component and assembly mechanical design and analysis activities for the R&D department's new and upgrade engine programs. Additionally, the Engineering Design Manager will work with the department to figure out new, original engine designs to move Fairbanks Morse forward.
The Engineering Design Manager is a Research and Development role. working with large and medium-speed diesel and gas engine design. Our engines weigh up to 250 tons and produce 33,500 horsepower for propulsion for the US Navy, US Coast Guard, and power for nuclear facilities.
Note : Relocation assistance is available to the Beloit, WI area for this position. Due to access to protected information for US government programs, US citizenship is required for this role. The successful candidate will be asked to provide proof of citizenship at the time of hire. Acceptable proof of citizenship includes a US Passport, US Birth Certificate or Naturalization Certificate.
Responsibilities of the Engineering Design Manager:
- Coordinate all aspects of department design projects, including the review of product design for compliance with engineering principles, company standards, customer contract requirements, and related specifications
- Lead analysis of mechanical components and systems, including Finite Element Analysis (FEA) for structural, fatigue, thermal, Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD using Converge), torsional studies, and GT Power suite
- Leverage manufacturing experience to reduce cost, value engineering projects, and lead times of prototype, design analysis, validation, and of critical engine production components
- Coordinate with development team engine mechanical development test activities, including specialized instrumentation, test procedures/problems, scheduling, resolving engineering design, and data processing
- Evaluate, create, and improve mechanical design of engine components and systems and lead in-house cross functional design review efforts and maintain centrally located component design records
- Coordinate application of best-practice design rules for component dimensioning, datum callout, and tolerancing per ASME Y14.5-2009
- Identify external resources, develop contracts/proposals, and manage mechanical and thermodynamic analysis projects with external technical consultants
- Gain familiarity of prototype methodology and technologies to provide guidance for reduced part lead-times
- Create and interpret fabrication and machining drawings and with calculations, numeric methods, and graphing, and define component design verification requirements
- Supervise, mentor, and coordinate assigned design personnel through resource forecasting process aligned to R&D needs
- Identify annual capital needs, manage design team budget, and execute department strategy and capability growth efforts by developing staff capabilities, recruiting, and managing technical deliverables of design team
Qualifications of the Engineering Design Manager:
- Completed bachelor's degree in an engineering field
- 10+ years of R&D experience as an engineer in a product development or design role in a manufacturing environment designing internal components of internal combustion or reciprocating engines (or 5+ years if at management or supervisory level)
- Experience with the design and development of engine components and systems (i.e. power cylinders, crankshafts, pistons, bearings, etc.)
- Understand engine performance, combustion, and emissions relative to component design and analysis/knowledge of engine performance and its relationships to component design
- Possess knowledge of manufacturing processes, such as machining and heat treating, as well as castings, forgings, and heavy steel fabrications
- Experience working with 3D modeling design tools including a Product Data Management (PDM) the business function often within Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) that is responsible for the management and publication of product data
- Working knowledge and experience with Finite Element Analysis (FEA) software, specifically ANSYS or ABAQUS
Fairbanks Morse offers significant career development opportunities as well as salary and benefits packages including health and life insurance, 401(k) with company match, full tuition reimbursement, vacation, and paid holidays.
About Fairbanks Morse
Fairbanks Morse is the critical power solutions expert - a strategic partner and a trusted source for application-specific, fuel- flexible power systems that deliver optimal performance in mission critical applications. These applications include base load and standby power generation and emergency back-up power for nuclear plants; ship propulsion and shipboard power for the United States Navy and Coast Guard and commercial vessels, and mechanical drive applications such as crude oil and water pumping. An EnPro Industries company, Fairbanks Morse, can be found powering the world forward in a wide range of municipal, institutional and industrial applications. EnPro Industries is a diversified manufacturer of proprietary engineered products used in critical applications with more than 5000 people worldwide with products sold in over 100 countries across the globe. As a division of EnPro Industries, we offer employees nearly unlimited opportunities to develop their professional interests and passions while also giving them the tools and resources to pursue their personal fulfillment outside of work.
Fairbanks Morse Careers
EnPro Industries - The Dual Bottom Line
EnPro Learning System: Approach, Tools and Practices that Work
EnPro Industries is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Beloit, Wisconsin, United States
Location_formattedLocationLong: Beloit, Wisconsin US
Community / Marketing Title: Engineering Design Manager - R&D
Requisition Number: 2015265
EEO Employer Verbiage: