Applications Design Engineer
Location: Columbia, South Carolina US
Job Number: 24123
Technetics Group combines the experience, foresight and innovation needed to meet the demands of a rapidly advancing technological age. Our unique make-up unites the expertise of several global manufacturing locations, working toward a common goal to remain at the forefront of not just one industry, but many markets and applications. Here at Technetics Group we strive to ensure all our employees become a part of our organizational culture and follow the five pillars of leadership. Within our dual bottom line culture, your own development and potential is given the same weight as corporate financial success.
As a division of EnPro Industries, we offer employees nearly unlimited opportunities to develop their professional interests and passions while also giving them the tools and resources to pursue their personal fulfillment outside of work.
Technetics Group is part of EnPro Industries, a $2B global diversified manufacturer with more than 5,000 employees worldwide and over 50,000 customers in 100+ countries. We're widely known for our Dual Bottom Line culture where we seek to enable the full release of human possibility and individual development while achieving strong financial returns. We invest in our employees and provide opportunities for them to make a difference while building a culture that reflects our core values of safety, excellence and respect.
We are looking for an enthusiastic and motivated Applications Design Engineer to work within our Columbia, SC manufacturing site. In this position, you will be responsible for customer and engineering product designs, internal and external customer facing communication as well as working collaboratively and cross functionally (although this list is not exhaustive!). You will report into the Engineering group, and will be a part of a larger Engineering team including R&D, Process/Manufacturing. A successful candidate for this position will possess a high level of emotional intelligence (openness, courage, thinking outside the box), be able to manage ambiguity and complexity, and will be comfortable in a constantly changing environment. This exciting role will provide the opportunity to grow your career while being part of a dynamic, driven and growth oriented organization.
The Application Design Engineer position will entail leading the mechanical design & engineering of new products and adaptation of existing products for customer applications per company growth initiatives. The Application Design Engineer acts as a cross-functional team leader in pursuing assigned initiatives to a successful and timely conclusion.
- Design and implementation of innovative sealing solutions from concept to customer delivery and commercialization.
- Design & implementation of test methods for new product validation.
- Manage building and testing of prototype parts.
- Work with manufacturing & product line engineers to ensure design manufacturability.
- Assist in the creation of process control documentation.
- Communicates with internal and external customers, suppliers, other company personnel providing technical expertise and counsel as required.
- Provide technical advice and guidance to internal & external customers for all needed sales activities. Assist customers as required for satisfactory product performance, and visits customer facilities as required.
- Prepare design input on requests for quotations (part of product development chain).
- Represent the Company through membership in technical & professional societies.
- Keep abreast of new product developments and application usages for rapid adaptation to company products.
- Responsible for carrying out assignments of substantial complexity with the expectation of the ability to take action and make independent decisions.
- Assist in the technical training of sales personnel.
- Drive cross-functional technical failure analysis and debug on key customer issues.
- Provide written recommendations and conduct seminars for end-users.
- Carry out special projects as needed.
- Actively participates in Safety Committee and continuous improvement initiatives.
- Performs any other assigned duty as directed by management.
- Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering or similar discipline is required, Master's Degree in a related area a plus.
- 2 years or more experience in technical sales, design, and customer applications support is highly preferred.
- Proficiency using SolidWorks or similar 3D solid modeling is required.
- Proficiency using ANSYS or similar finite element analysis code is a plus, but not required.
- Strong problem solving abilities are required.
- Product design, development and implementation experience is required.
- Experience in the design and fabrication of metal seals, fittings, or flanges is a plus.
- Familiarity with NADCAP, AS9100, ISO9001, Six Sigma, & Lean Manufacturing is a plus.
- Ability to work effectively both independently and in a team environment is required.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills are required.
- Committed, dedicated and self-motivated work ethics, with full ownership of projects or assigned tasks is required.
- The desire to strive for continuous improvement and excellence within a fast-paced growth environment is required.
Columbia, South Carolina, United States
Location_formattedLocationLong: Columbia, South Carolina US
State: South Carolina
Community / Marketing Title: Applications Design Engineer
Requisition Number: 2015956
EEO Employer Verbiage: