Location: Beloit, Wisconsin US
Job Number: 23834
Layout Machinist - 2 nd Shift
Why should you join Fairbanks Morse?
For 125 years, Fairbanks Morse has been powering the world forward with innovative distributed power generation solutions that deliver optimal performance in a wide range of applications from base load and standby in municipal, nuclear, and institutional facilities to locomotive engines, and naval and commercial-class ship propulsion and shipboard power. We are most known for our flagship Opposed Piston (OP) engine technology that has been trusted for decades and has totaled over 100 million operating hours - many units with over 40 years of service.
If you have ideas and passion and want to join a world-class team, then we want to help you fulfill the dreams and passions that truly drive you. Read more about what it is like to be a part of the Fairbanks Morse team here: https://www.fairbanksmorse.com/careers
Fairbanks Morse invests in YOU!
By joining us, you'll have the opportunity to make the most of your potential. As a standard, you will be entitled to:
- A benefits package including: shift differential/premium, health, dental, and life insurance, 401k match at 6%, tuition reimbursement, vacation and sick time, and many more
- Personal development to grow your career with us based on your strengths and interests
- A working culture based on a philosophy that balances the individual's success and growth on an equal footing to that of the company
As a Layout Machinist at Fairbanks Morse, you will utilize your ability to interpret geometric tolerancing and experience using inspection and measuring tools to aid the production and quality of our giant diesel engines. You will utilize your mechanical and electrical aptitude to work off welding and machining prints to successfully scribe part lines for welding. Your work keeps our US Navy and Coastguard safe.
Within this position, you will take full ownership of machine layout, including:
- Preparing templates made of a variety of materials, such as castings, forgings, aluminum, brass, steel, etc.
- Creating layouts with the use of templates to match drawing dimensions.
- Handling medium weight parts by hand and by hoist or overhead crane for heavier parts.
- Using the appropriate measuring instruments such as gages, board gauges, micrometers, indicator, blueprints, process documents, hand tools, etc.
- Performing operations such as setting a piece on the table, square up, paint with layout paint, layout stock lines, center lines and holes.
- Referencing lines for machining operations such as planning, drilling, milling, boring on a variety of engine parts.
- Working to tolerances of +/- .010 overall by checking centers and inter-related locations.
- Receiving assignment, drawing, and/or verbal instructions from the wider team.
What are we looking for?
- Professional experience interpreting geometric tolerancing (GD&T) using a layout table
- 5+ years with a high school diploma
- 2 years+ with a technical school certificate or two-year associate's degree
- Experience deciphering and interpreting technical drawings, blueprints, and manuals
- Direct experience with using a portable layout machine, parallels, v-blocks, templates, hand tools, measuring and inspection instruments, hoist and/or use of an overhead crane
- Ability to pass a physical, drug screening, and audiogram
What would make you stand out?
- Direct experience working with giant diesel engines
- Knowledge of AutoCAD or other quality engineering tools
This position requires access or potential access to Unclassified Naval Nuclear Propulsion Information, which is Not Releasable to Foreign Nationals (NOFORN) data. Therefore, to meet NOFORN requirement, you will have to provide proof of US Citizenship and attest that you do not have dual citizenship. Acceptable proof of US Citizenship is a US Passport, US Birth Certificate or Naturalization Certificate.
Fairbanks Morse is known for its culture where it seeks to enable the full release of human possibility through individual development while achieving strong financial returns. We invest in our employees and provide opportunities for them to make a difference while building a culture that reflects our core values of safety, excellence and respect. Each person has the opportunity to truly make an impact as an integral part of a collective.
Fairbanks Morse are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Beloit, Wisconsin, United States
Location_formattedLocationLong: Beloit, Wisconsin US
Community / Marketing Title: Layout Machinist
Requisition Number: 2015928
EEO Employer Verbiage: