Senior Development Engineer
Location: Beloit, Wisconsin US
Job Number: 23959
Our Fairbanks Morse team is currently looking for a Sr. Development Engineer to join us out of our Beloit headquarters. As a Sr. Development Engineer, you will be responsible for performance testing, development, and analysis required to implement the product development strategy. You are the lead of the team and are expected to act as a coach for all team members through leading by example and driving continuous improvement.
EnPro Industries companies are known for our focus on a Dual Bottom Line culture where we seek to enable the full release of human possibility through individual development while achieving strong financial returns. We invest in our employees and provide opportunities for them to make a difference while building a culture that reflects our core values of safety, excellence and respect. Each person has the opportunity to truly make an impact as an integral part of a collective team.
Responsibilities of the Sr. Development Engineer:
- Generate and perform test procedures and reports addressing engine development, performance testing and emissions analysis, engine cycle analysis, mechanical durability, and engine calibration strategies throughout the major phases of the product development program to determine operating limits and recommending engine hardware/software configurations or adjustments to achieve desired results
- Construct daily work and long-term project plans that effectively identify key milestones, current status and potential problems relative to commitments and implement progress reporting mechanisms and create presentation material summarizing results
- Create system level requirements for control systems including specification of electrical interfaces (sensors, actuators, controllers) functionality and diagnostics
- Review engine component failures or anomalies and assist in root cause and corrective action efforts
- Assist in the development of standard work and innovative approaches toward the effective and efficient utilization of personnel and resources, including gaseous and particulate emissions benches
- Research competitor technologies and emerging technologies and provide input for strategic planning
- Partner with Electrical Engineering, Instrument Lab, and IT to develop modern and effective means of test data collection, reduction, and evaluation, and transition development activities into production
- Interface with suppliers on new components to work through quality, functional and design requirements
- Coach and mentor the test technicians and other Development Engineer(s)
Required Qualifications of the Sr. Development Engineer:
- Completed Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering
- 5-8+ years of recent engine performance engineering experience, including testing, compression ignition combustion, emission formation, fuel systems, and controls
- 2+ years of experience with performance simulation modeling and modern combustion monitoring equipment, such as A&D combustion analysis system, GT-Power or Crossfire (CF) 3D Modeling
Preferred Qualifications of the Sr. Development Engineer:
- Completed Master's Degree in related focus to Mechanical Engineering
- 2+ years of recent experience with park gas, dual fuel engines, and/or large engine test bed systems and controls including, sensors and calibration methodology and safety shutdowns
Competencies of the Sr. Development Engineer:
- Written and verbal communication skills
- Interest in the topics of engine and thermal systems performance analysis, and diesel and natural gas emissions formation and reduction
- Collaborative, trusting, and transparent; must thrive in working in a team-oriented environment
- Creative thinking, highly motivated, and the ability to work independently
- Comfortable with calculations, numeric methods, and graphing
Fairbanks Morse offers significant career development opportunities as well as salary and benefits packages including health and life insurance, 401(k) with company match at 6%, tuition reimbursement, and an open vacation policy
About Fairbanks Morse
For 125 years, Fairbanks Morse has been powering the world forward with innovative distributed power generation solutions that deliver optimal performance in a wide range of applications from base load and standby in municipal, nuclear, and institutional facilities to locomotive engines, and naval and commercial-class ship propulsion and shipboard power. Reliable and dependable, their flagship Opposed Piston (OP) engine technology has been trusted for decades and has totaled over 100 million operating hours - many units with over 40 years of service. Joining the quarter century club because of how long people stick around the company due to growth and opportunity. Learn more about how Fairbanks Morse is committed to delivering power where it is needed most in the world by visiting www.fairbanksmorse.com .
This position includes access or potential access to export-controlled data. Therefore, you will need to qualify as a U.S. Person, which is defined as a U.S. Citizen, a U.S. Permanent Resident or a political asylee in compliance with International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) or the Export Administration Regulations (EAR). Acceptable proof of this status includes a US Passport, Permanent Resident Card, US birth Certificate or Naturalization Certificate. Maintenance, including renewal, of licensing authorization is a condition of employment. Government authorization may be a suitable alternative after review on a case by case basis.
EnPro Industries and companies are Equal Opportunity Employers.
Beloit, Wisconsin, United States
Location_formattedLocationLong: Beloit, Wisconsin US
Community / Marketing Title: Senior Development Engineer
Requisition Number: 2015942
EEO Employer Verbiage: