Location: Beloit, Wisconsin US
Job Number: 23960
Our Fairbanks Morse team is currently looking for a Test Technician to join us out of our Beloit headquarters. As a Test Technician, you will be responsible for test setup, conducting performance testing, data collection, and data reduction required to implement the product development strategy. You will have the opportunity to use your diesel engine expertise to develop new techniques and applications that improve department efficiency.
EnPro Industries companies are known for our focus on a Dual Bottom Line culture where we seek to enable the full release of human possibility through individual development while achieving strong financial returns. We invest in our employees and provide opportunities for them to make a difference while building a culture that reflects our core values of safety, excellence and respect. Each person has the opportunity to truly make an impact as an integral part of a collective team.
Responsibilities of the Test Technician:
- Read blueprints, schematics, diagrams, or technical documents to determine methods and sequences of assembly and verify part dimensions or clearances to ensure conformance with specifications, using precision measuring instruments
- Monitor the calibration of instrumentation and gauges to ensure completion on a regular schedule
- Operate drill press, grinders, lathes, mills, or other machines to modify parts needed for experimental testing
- Assemble, operate, disassemble, and troubleshoot complex mechanical, fuel, electrical, and engine control systems
- Conduct inspections and maintenance on engines and support equipment that are associated with engine development testing
- Operate and perform daily maintenance of the gaseous and particulate emissions test equipment as well as of the particulate filter weigh chamber and scale
- Tune electrical and mechanical systems for proper operation using PID control schemes
- Participate in planning activities for project development and review project instructions and specifications to identify, modify, and plan requirements for fabrication, assembly, and testing
- Provide technical support for set-up and operation of prototype equipment that will be used for field test or endurance test as well as shop set-up and operational support/training for new equipment released for production use
- Set-up, or coordinate the set-up of test stand control and instrumentation to properly collect the required engine data and perform preliminary calculations, prepare necessary graphs, write test reports and maintain test files after data compilation
- Participate in facility safety activities
Required Qualifications of the Test Technician:
- Flexibility to work a rotational schedule on a biweekly basis
- Diesel engine testing, performance and operations product testing experience using basic inspection devices such as micrometers, calipers, feeler gauges, bore gauges, and understand the combustion process, engine performance, emissions characteristics, and the trade-off associated with each
- Two-year degree or technical diploma in a mechanical field with 0-2 years of experience
- High School diploma with 2-5+ years of experience
- Must have the ability to qualify for a fork-lift operator license and obtain a crane card
- Exposure to reading Engineering prints and instructions
- Proficient in MS Office Suite and utilizing computer applications
Preferred Qualifications of the Test Technician:
- Experience with engine PLC control systems and monitoring, such as Allen Bradley
Competencies of the Test Technician:
- Written and verbal communication skills
- Adaptability, willingness to change, and open-mindedness
- Ability to work cohesively in a collaborative group
- Openness to feedback and suggestions
Fairbanks Morse offers significant career development opportunities as well as salary and benefits packages including health and life insurance, 401(k) with company match at 6%, tuition reimbursement, and an open vacation policy
About Fairbanks Morse
For 125 years, Fairbanks Morse has been powering the world forward with innovative distributed power generation solutions that deliver optimal performance in a wide range of applications from base load and standby in municipal, nuclear, and institutional facilities to locomotive engines, and naval and commercial-class ship propulsion and shipboard power. Reliable and dependable, their flagship Opposed Piston (OP) engine technology has been trusted for decades and has totaled over 100 million operating hours - many units with over 40 years of service. Joining the quarter century club because of how long people stick around the company due to growth and opportunity. Learn more about how Fairbanks Morse is committed to delivering power where it is needed most in the world by visiting www.fairbanksmorse.com .
This position includes access or potential access to export-controlled data. Therefore, you will need to qualify as a U.S. Person, which is defined as a U.S. Citizen, a U.S. Permanent Resident or a political asylee in compliance with International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) or the Export Administration Regulations (EAR). Acceptable proof of this status includes a US Passport, Permanent Resident Card, US birth Certificate or Naturalization Certificate. Maintenance, including renewal, of licensing authorization is a condition of employment. Government authorization may be a suitable alternative after review on a case by case basis.
EnPro Industries and companies are Equal Opportunity Employers.
Beloit, Wisconsin, United States
Location_formattedLocationLong: Beloit, Wisconsin US
Community / Marketing Title: Test Technician
Requisition Number: 2015943
EEO Employer Verbiage: