Technical Writer / Illustrator
Location: Norfolk, Virginia US
Job Number: 24267
Why should you join Fairbanks Morse?
For 125 years, Fairbanks Morse, a division of EnPro Industries, has been powering the world forward with innovative distributed power generation solutions that deliver optimal performance in a wide range of applications from base load and standby in municipal, nuclear, and institutional facilities to locomotive engines, and naval and commercial-class ship propulsion and shipboard power. We are most known for our flagship Opposed Piston (OP) engine technology that has been trusted for decades and has totaled over 100 million operating hours - many units with over 40 years of service.
If you have ideas and passion and want to join a world-class team, then we want to help you fulfill the dreams and passions that truly drive you.
Read more about what it is like to be a part of the Fairbanks Morse team here: https://www.fairbanksmorse.com/careers
Fairbanks Morse invests in YOU!
By joining us, you'll have the opportunity to make the most of your potential. As a standard, you will be entitled to:
- A benefits package including: health, dental, and life insurance, 401k match at 6%, tuition reimbursement, vacation and sick time, bonus potential, and more
- Personal development to grow your career with us based on your strengths and interests
- A working culture based on the Dual Bottom Line philosophy that balances the individual's success and growth on an equal footing to that of the company
As a Technical Writer at Fairbanks Morse, you will utilize your strong knowledge of technical writing to prepare our technical manuals, maintenance standards, service information letters, and wider technical literature needed to meet our customers' requirements.
Within this position, you will take full ownership of technical writing and illustration, including:
- Preparing written copy for Technical Manuals to meet contract requirements.
- Working to meet contract commitments as scheduled, including validation activities.
- Developing repair parts lists and illustrations, using bills of material and engineering drawings, while managing vendors that are providing data development resources.
- Reviewing specifications as they relate to technical manual deliverables and estimate effort required.
- Reading specifications and contracts to determine the types of technical documentation required for that project.
- Interacting with Fairbanks Morse Program Management, Engineering, Training, and Sales & Marketing groups to determine the scope and formatting necessary to consider in document creating.
- Developing data necessary for the preparation of operation and maintenance (O&M) technical manuals, maintenance standards, service information letters (SILs) and other technical documents.
- Drafting text material for new, original technical documentation, and preparing updates and revisions as necessary to existing or previously written technical documentation.
- Preparing clear technical illustrations and graphic depictions to support the written text.
- Preparing, organizing and delivering preliminary contract documentation, as well as adjudicating and incorporating customer comments and corrections to prepare final contract deliverable documentation.
What are we looking for?
- High School Diploma or GED with 5+ years' technical writing experience, in an industrial, maintenance, or manufacturing-related field
- 3+ years' experience of authoring and document development with XML Schema/StyleSheet, FrameMaker, Arbortext, and/or SQML, including manipulation and editing
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints, engineering orders, bills of materials, and contract specifications
- Knowledge of 2D and 3D illustration modeling software
- Highly skilled with Microsoft Office applications
What would make you stand out?
- Associate's or Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Writing, or Communications, with a strong and proven mechanical aptitude or experience working in a heavy industrial setting
- Strong mechanical aptitude with exposure to heavy machinery or engines, preferably within the US military.
- Experience using Oracle ERP
- Core competencies for success as a Technical Writer/Illustrator:
- Written and Verbal Communication
- Problem-Solving Mindset and Results-Driven
- Action-Oriented and Performance-Focused
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- Leadership and Motivation of Others
- Development of Personnel
- Customer Service and Customer Focus
- Ensures Accountability and Follow-Through
- Safety and Sales Orientation
This position requires access or potential access to Unclassified Naval Nuclear Propulsion Information, which is Not Releasable to Foreign Nationals (NOFORN) data. Therefore, to meet NOFORN requirement, you will have to provide proof of US Citizenship and attest that you do not have dual citizenship. Acceptable proof of US Citizenship is a US Passport, US Birth Certificate or Naturalization Certificate.
EnPro Industries companies are known for our focus on a Dual Bottom Line culture where we seek to enable the full release of human possibility through individual development while achieving strong financial returns. We invest in our employees and provide opportunities for them to make a difference while building a culture that reflects our core values of safety, excellence and respect. Each person has the opportunity to truly make an impact as an integral part of a collective.
EnPro Industries are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Norfolk, Virginia, United States
Location_formattedLocationLong: Norfolk, Virginia US
Community / Marketing Title: Technical Writer / Illustrator
Requisition Number: 2015976
EEO Employer Verbiage: