Pipe Welder & Assembler
Location: Beloit, Wisconsin US
Job Number: 25426
Pipe Welder & Assembler - 2nd Shift
Why should you join Fairbanks Morse?
For 125 years, Fairbanks Morse has been powering the world forward with innovative distributed power generation solutions that deliver optimal performance in a wide range of applications from base load and standby in municipal, nuclear, and institutional facilities to locomotive engines, and naval and commercial-class ship propulsion and shipboard power. We are most known for our flagship Opposed Piston (OP) engine technology that has been trusted for decades and has totaled over 100 million operating hours - many units with over 40 years of service.
If you have ideas and passion and want to join a world-class team, then we want to help you fulfill the dreams and passions that truly drive you. Read more about what it is like to be a part of the Fairbanks Morse team here: https://www.fairbanksmorse.com/careers
Fairbanks Morse invests in YOU!
By joining us, you'll have the opportunity to make the most of your potential. As a standard, you will be entitled to:
- A benefits package including: shift differential/premium, health, dental, and life insurance, 401k match at 6%, tuition reimbursement, vacation and sick time, and many more
- Personal development to grow your career with us based on your strengths and interests
- A working culture based on a philosophy that balances the individual's success and growth on an equal footing to that of the company
As a Pipe Welder & Assembler at Fairbanks Morse, you will be responsible for every step in the assembly process, specifically bending, building, welding, and fitting pipe to blueprint. Over 90% of your time will be spent on TIG welding but you will be responsible for the entire piping system from the cut to finish of ferrous and non-ferrous metals. The work you do will directly impact our key customers, such as the US Navy, and is essential for the production of every world class engine we manufacture.
Within this position, you will take full ownership of pipe welding and assembly, including:
- Assembling pipe to the engine, including swedge, drill, bend, and perform hydro tests for production, service and experimental departments.
- Customizing every order to meet customer requirements and passing MT welds, RT welds, PT welds, and VT welds.
- Testing and inspecting bends and record results as required.
- Working with tolerances of +/- .010 and works to tolerances of 1/64".
- Using templates and operate welding machine to secure nelson studs to engine as required.
- Making up piping to drawing dimensions performing operations such as assemble flanges, fittings, heat and braze on pipe for lube oil, fuel oil, air lines, gas headers, miscellaneous brazed assemblies.
- Setting up and operating manual and CNC pipe benders.
- Tracing pipes and/or assemblies and transfer dimensions to CNC pipe bender.
- Adjusting dimensions in computer program for any insure accurate bends.
- Filing pipe with sand, layout for position of bends, heat and hand bend required bends and offsets.
- Brazing with silver solder, silfos and tobin bronze.
- Instructing less skilled welders as required to meet Navy specifications on government orders.
- Handling medium weight materials by hand and heavier materials by hoist or overhead crane.
What are we looking for?
- 2+ years of direct experience welding pipe, specifically knowledgeable of TIG welding and GTAW process
- Ability to pass a physical, drug screening, and audiogram due to the strenuous activity required for the role
- Technology and computer proficiency, such as daily use of an ERP system (ie. Oracle)
What would make you stand out?
- Knowledge of MIG welding
- Completed technical certificate or two-year degree in a welding program
- Direct experience working with giant diesel engines
This position requires access or potential access to Unclassified Naval Nuclear Propulsion Information, which is Not Releasable to Foreign Nationals (NOFORN) data. Therefore, to meet NOFORN requirement, you will have to provide proof of US Citizenship and attest that you do not have dual citizenship. Acceptable proof of US Citizenship is a US Passport, US Birth Certificate or Naturalization Certificate.
Fairbanks Morse is known for its culture where it seeks to enable the full release of human possibility through individual development while achieving strong financial returns. We invest in our employees and provide opportunities for them to make a difference while building a culture that reflects our core values of safety, excellence and respect. Each person has the opportunity to truly make an impact as an integral part of a collective.
Fairbanks Morse are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Beloit, Wisconsin, United States
Location_formattedLocationLong: Beloit, Wisconsin US
Community / Marketing Title: Pipe Welder & Assembler
Requisition Number: 2016117
EEO Employer Verbiage: