Shop Mechanic - Norfolk
Job Number: 16643
*This position is based out of the Fairbanks Morse Service Center in Norfolk, VA.*
The Shop Mechanic is an entry level mechanic that performs repairs and overhauls of engine components under the supervision of Sr. Mechanics. The Mechanic shall maintain a professional and positive attitude, perform quality workmanship, and be responsive to customer needs.
- Ability to perform inspections and document results.
- Ability to perform repairs and overhauls of engine components.
- Assist in the repair and overhaul of diesel engines on marine vessels or at customer sites when necessary.
- Assigned to shop and warehouse duties including general machining, assembly, part receiving, inventory, and miscellaneous shop duties.
- Perform work related tasks in accordance with company product-line tech manuals.
- Document work performed in daily service reports.
- Document results of tests and inspections.
- Perform work related tasks in accordance with published safety guidelines.
- Wear appropriate PPE per company guidelines and in accordance with job duties.
- Immediately report all work related accidents or injuries to the appropriate personnel.
- Complete annual safety training requirements.
- Report all near miss or potential safety hazards in writing.
- Provide accurate and timely reporting according to company guidelines.
- Provide time cards, expense reports, mileage reports, project reports.
- Maintain personal tool inventory in accordance with company policy.
- Maintain company property according to company policies.
- Document use of Vehicle, credit cards, test equipment, laptop, and pager.
- Perform high quality workmanship.
- Be responsive to customer needs and act as an FME ambassador of customer.
- Provide answers to all questions and concerns
- Complete all work in an efficient and timely manner.
- Adhere to company dress code and safety regulations.
- Maintain professional attitude and appearance.
- Required experience (one or more of the following)
- High School Diploma or GED required and ASDT ( Associate of Applied Science Diesel Technology) preferred
- Three years military experience - navy engineman
- Equivalent industry experience
- Basic knowledge of diesel engine
- Must be able to read and interpret engine line diagrams and blueprints
- Must be a US Citizen (due to government contracts)
- Technical skills
- High mechanical aptitude
- Interpersonal Skills
- Professional attitude
- Works well with others
- Other skills:
- Proficiency in English language (verbal and writing)
- Ability to handle stressful situations
- Must have ability to regularly lift at least 35 pounds
- Maintain valid driver's license
- Computer skills
- Basic word processing
- Spreadsheet processing
- Electronic mail
- Job Progression requirements
- Interest and capability of being promoted to Sr. Mechanic.
- Completion of FME Training Manual.
- Complete appropriate on the Job Training.
Norfolk, Virginia, United States
Location_formattedLocationLong: Norfolk, Virginia US
Community / Marketing Title: Shop Mechanic - Norfolk
Requisition Number: 2015175
EEO Employer Verbiage: