R&D Engineering Design Manager
Location: Beloit, Wisconsin US
Job Number: 18178
Fairbanks Morse, an EnPro Industries company, is looking for an Engineering Design Manager to join our team. The Engineering Design Manager will provide design group leadership and execute component and assembly mechanical design and analysis activities for all of the R&D department's new and upgrade engine programs.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinate planning, organization, control, integration and completion of department design projects, including the review of product design for compliance with engineering principles, company standards, customer contract requirements, and related specifications. Coordinate activities associated with technical development, scheduling, and resolving engineering design and test problems.
- Evaluate, create, and improve mechanical design of engine components and systems
- Lead analysis of mechanical components and systems, including Finite Element Analysis (FEA) for structural, fatigue, thermal, Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD using Converge), torsional studies, and GT Power suite, including input assumptions, boundary conditions, and results interpretation
- Leverage manufacturing experience to reduce cost and lead times of prototype and production components
- Lead in-house cross functional design review efforts
- Maintain centrally located component design records
- Coordinate application of best-practice design rules for component dimensioning, datum callout, and tolerancing per ASME Y14.5-2009
- Provide support for cost reduction/value engineering projects, including design analysis and/or validation of critical engine components
- Coordinate with development team engine mechanical development test activities, including specialized instrumentation, test procedures and data processing
- Identify external resources, develop contracts/proposals, and manage mechanical and thermodynamic analysis projects with external technical consultants
- Gain familiarity of prototype methodology and technologies to provide guidance for reduced part lead-times
- Define component design verification requirements
- Supervise and develop/mentor assigned design personnel. Coordinate personnel through resource forecasting process aligned to R&D needs. Execute department strategy and capability growth efforts by developing staff capabilities, recruiting, and managing technical deliverables of design team.
- Identify annual capital needs and manage design team budget
Qualifications and Educational Requirements
- Creative thinking, highly motivated, and the ability to work in a team environment is required
- BSME or equivalent degree, plus minimum 10 years of experience in a design role within an engine company and manufacturing environment. Prior engine experience is required. Advance technical degree desired.
- Previous supervisory/management experience
- Experience with design and development of engine components and systems (e.g. - power cylinders, crankshafts, journal bearings, etc.). Knowledge of manufacturing processes (machining and heat treating) as well as castings, forgings, and heavy steel fabrications as these relate to component design. Able to create and interpret fabrication and machining drawings. Knowledge of engine performance and the relationships to component design.
- Understanding of engine performance, combustion, and emissions relative component design and analysis
- Must be comfortable with calculations, numeric methods and graphing
- Experience working with 3D modeling design tools including a PDM/PLM system
- Must be highly adaptable, able to reformulate plans as required as R&D research activities progress and willingness to work across functional areas
- Strong strength of materials working knowledge and experience with FEA software required, ANSYS preferred
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite is required
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, and written/verbal communication skills
- Minimal travel required
- Due to access to protected information for US government programs, US citizenship is required for this role. The successful candidate will be asked to provide proof of citizenship at the time of hire. Acceptable proof of citizenship includes a US Passport, US birth Certificate or Naturalization Certificate.
This specification is intended to indicate the kinds of tasks and levels of work difficulty that will be required of positions that will be given this title and shall not be construed as declaring what the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of any supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under his/her supervision. Ability to competently perform all the essential duties of the position, with or without reasonable accommodation, demonstrated commitment to effective customer service delivery, and the ability to work productively as a member of a team or work group are basic requirements of all positions at Fairbanks Morse.
Beloit, Wisconsin, United States
Location_formattedLocationLong: Beloit, Wisconsin US
Community / Marketing Title: R&D Engineering Design Manager
Requisition Number: 2015265
EEO Employer Verbiage: