Product Line Technical Specialist
Location: Houston, Texas US
Job Number: 21735
GENERAL NATURE OF JOB:
The Product Line Technical Specialist (PLTS) serves as a commercial/technical resource to the product line and supports the Product Management and Operations team. The PLTS will facilitate bid package review and quoting for unique applications. In addition, the PLTS provides assistance to Product Management for various product/process developments that will assist in achieving higher sales and profit goals.
1. Develops and maintains a detailed technical knowledge of the product line.
2. Reviews bid packages and RFQs insuring conformity to manufacturing limitations, customer requirements and industry standards. Also provides input/coordination for necessary approvals, pricing, material acquisition and scheduling requirements.
3. Responsible for negotiating terms, materials and designs with customers to achieve the most acceptable product configuration for the customer and the most reasonable product to produce.
4. Provides product technical support to internal and external customers.
5. Assists with existing customer needs, contract review and maintenance.
6. Collaborates with Product Manager and Engineering to determine what action is required to correct field problems arising out of product failure, quality, or customer service. Works out corrective measures with appropriate members of the Operations team.
7. Works with the Operations team on sales and production forecasting, explores cost reduction opportunities, and insures adherence to quality, design, and material standards.
8. Supports the Product Manager in the ongoing evaluation of competitive conditions, technical advances in the marketplace, and overall market potential.
9. Administers, analyzes and evaluates data to assess current market conditions and to help in identifying incremental business opportunities.
10. Works closely with Inside Sales and the Product Manager to promote products into new markets or to new customers, assists in the development of new and/or improved marketing programs, and provides other technical assistance as needed to grow sales opportunities.
11. Participates as a cross functional team member to coordinate process and product improvements, as well as assist in new product developments.
12. Plans and/or conducts training programs for GPT employees, Distributors, and End Users.
13. Plans and conducts tours of manufacturing facility for employees, Distributors, and End Users.
14. Responsible for timely assignment and maintenance of product coding/part numbering system.
15. Loads and maintains web-based, Excel-based and Oracle price books/lists. Also responsible for editing existing modifiers and agreements in addition to pricing overrides.
16. Responsible for coordinating and implementing price adjustments.
17. Reviews, authorizes and maintains special pricing arrangements (RSA) required to win over and maintain competitive and commodity business. Requires coordination and exchange of competitive details with field support personnel.
18. Approves credits and RMA's pertaining to the product line (up to established authorization levels).
19. Evaluates the urgency of customer requirements and coordinates with production control to obtain improved lead times, expedited deliveries, or move-ups on new or existing orders. Advises customer/customer service of special handling charges, overtime and/or other charges that may be associated with expedited deliveries or cancellations.
20. Responsible for pricing and freight deviation interface with Customer Service.
21. Works with other departments and reconciles problems in such matters as pertain to orders, deliveries, inquiries and prices.
22. Maintains accurate records of all correspondence received and sent, including formal and informal quotations, internal memos, procedures, instructions, sales orders, technical data, etc.
23. Interacts with customer service, sales, manufacturing, engineering, finance, and product management as necessary.
24. Performs other tasks as required by Product Manager.
1. Degree in Engineering or Technical Field, or Business Degree with experience in a technical role
2. Demonstrated mechanical aptitude
3. Analytical and problem solving abilities
4. Excellent verbal and written communication and listening skills
5. Extremely comfortable working with computers using a variety of applications in a Windows environment
6. Ability to perform multiple functions in a fast-paced working environment
7. Performs autonomously within established guidelines set by Product Manager
8. Knowledge of polymers, metallurgy, oil and gas market helpful
Houston, Texas, United States
Location_formattedLocationLong: Houston, Texas US
Community / Marketing Title: Product Line Technical Specialist
Requisition Number: 2015656
EEO Employer Verbiage: