Engineering Manager, Design
Location: Beloit, Wisconsin US
Job Number: 21132
Engineering Manager, Design
Why should you join Fairbanks Morse?
For 125 years, Fairbanks Morse, a division of EnPro Industries, has been powering the world forward with innovative distributed power generation solutions that deliver optimal performance in a wide range of applications from base load and standby in municipal, nuclear, and institutional facilities to locomotive engines, and naval and commercial-class ship propulsion and shipboard power. We are most known for our flagship Opposed Piston (OP) engine technology that has been trusted for decades and has totaled over 100 million operating hours - many units with over 40 years of service.
If you have ideas and passion and want to join a world-class team, then we want to help you fulfill the dreams and passions that truly drive you. Read more about what it is like to be a part of the Fairbanks More team here: https://www.fairbanksmorse.com/careers
Fairbanks Morse invests in YOU!
By joining us, you'll have the opportunity to make the most of your potential. As a standard, you will be entitled to:
- A benefits package including; health, dental, life insurance, 401k match at 6%, tuition reimbursement, unlimited vacation and sick time, and many more.
- Personal development to grow your career with us based on your strengths and interests.
- A working culture based on the EnPro, Dual Bottom Line, philosophy that balances the individual success and growth on an equal footing to that of the company.
As an Engineering Manager, Design at Fairbanks Morse, you will provide design group leadership and execute component and assembly mechanical design and analysis activities for all of the department's engine programs as well as the drafting/modeling/analysis needs from Manufacturing and Field Service. Your primary goal is to release new bills of materials for manufacturing, support manufacturing outsourcing when required, and support obsolescence when it comes to on-engine components.
Within this position, you will take full ownership of engine design activities, including;
- Coordinating the planning, organization, control, integration and completion of department design projects, including the review of product design for compliance with engineering principles, company standards, customer contract requirements, and related specifications.
- Leveraging manufacturing experience to reduce cost and lead times of prototype and production components.
- Leading design activities, identify annual capital needs, manage design team budget, and provide design and analysis support for
- Cost reduction, NCR and value engineering projects, including modeling, red-lined drawings, design analysis and/or validation of critical engine components
- Existing and new projects for design and redesign
- Release Bills of Materials and ECOs
- New Sales RFQ Design and/or Analysis Need
- Failure Analysis activities
- Design training activities such as GD&T, SolidWorks, ANSYS, etc.
- Managing activities associated with technical development, scheduling, and resolving engineering design problems through resource forecasting process aligned to Engineering needs.
- Leading the best-practice design rules for component dimensioning, datum callout, and tolerancing per ASME standards as well as any in-house cross functional design review efforts.
- Owning the Engineering Change Process (reporting the ECO weekly progress, leading ECRB meetings and driving for improvement) and maintain centrally located component design records.
- Supporting IT on PLM/PDM (Enovia) implementation and upgrades by leading the Engineering Functional Activities and being the POC for Engineering.
- Developing and mentoring team and executing the department strategy and capability growth efforts by developing staff capabilities, recruiting, and managing technical deliverables of design team.
What are we looking for?
- Completed Bachelor's Degree in an engineering field
- 10+ years of experience as an engineer, in a design role in a manufacturing environment designing components of internal combustion engines, and must have
- Knowledge of manufacturing processes as well as castings, forgings, and heavy steel fabrications as these relate to component design
- Experience with design and development of engine components and systems (power cylinders, linings, crankshafts, pistons, bearings, journal bearings, etc.)
- Understanding of engine performance, combustion, and emissions relative component design and analysis/knowledge of engine performance and the relationships to component design
- 5+ years of experience working with 2D and 3D modeling design tools, including a PDM or PLM system and CAD
- 2+ years of management experience or experience as a senior member of the team leading others cross functionally
What would make you stand out?
- Completed Master's Degree in an engineering field
- Experience with FEA (Finite Element Analysis) software, such as ANSYS or ABAQUS
This position requires access or potential access to Unclassified Naval Nuclear Propulsion Information, which is Not Releasable to Foreign Nationals (NOFORN) data. Therefore, to meet NOFORN requirement, you will have to provide proof of US Citizenship and attest that you do not have dual citizenship. Acceptable proof of US Citizenship is a US Passport, US Birth Certificate or Naturalization Certificate.
EnPro Industries companies are known for our focus on a Dual Bottom Line culture where we seek to enable the full release of human possibility through individual development while achieving strong financial returns. We invest in our employees and provide opportunities for them to make a difference while building a culture that reflects our core values of safety, excellence and respect. Each person has the opportunity to truly make an impact as an integral part of a collective.
EnPro Industries are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Beloit, Wisconsin, United States
Location_formattedLocationLong: Beloit, Wisconsin US
Community / Marketing Title: Engineering Manager, Design
Requisition Number: 2015566
EEO Employer Verbiage: