Shop Mechanic - Norfolk
Location: Norfolk, Virginia US
Job Number: 23743
*This position is based out of the Fairbanks Morse Service Center in Norfolk, VA.*
The Shop Mechanic is an entry level mechanic that performs repairs and overhauls of engine components under the supervision of Sr. Mechanics. The Mechanic shall maintain a professional and positive attitude, perform quality workmanship, and be responsive to customer needs.
- Ability to perform inspections and document results.
- Ability to perform repairs and overhauls of engine components.
- Assist in the repair and overhaul of diesel engines on marine vessels or at customer sites when necessary.
- Assigned to shop and warehouse duties including general machining, assembly, part receiving, inventory, and miscellaneous shop duties.
- Perform work related tasks in accordance with company product-line tech manuals.
- Document work performed in daily service reports.
- Document results of tests and inspections.
- Perform work related tasks in accordance with published safety guidelines.
- Wear appropriate PPE per company guidelines and in accordance with job duties.
- Immediately report all work related accidents or injuries to the appropriate personnel.
- Complete annual safety training requirements.
- Report all near miss or potential safety hazards in writing.
- Provide accurate and timely reporting according to company guidelines.
- Provide time cards, expense reports, mileage reports, project reports.
- Maintain personal tool inventory in accordance with company policy.
- Maintain company property according to company policies.
- Document use of Vehicle, credit cards, test equipment, laptop, and pager.
- Perform high quality workmanship.
- Be responsive to customer needs and act as an FME ambassador of customer.
- Provide answers to all questions and concerns
- Complete all work in an efficient and timely manner.
- Adhere to company dress code and safety regulations.
- Maintain professional attitude and appearance.
All other duties as assigned
- High School Diploma or GED required and one or more of the following:
- ASDT ( Associate of Applied Science Diesel Technology)
- Three years military experience - navy engineman or
- Equivalent industry experience
- Basic knowledge of diesel engine
- Must be able to read and interpret engine line diagrams and blueprints
- Technical skills
- High mechanical aptitude
- Interpersonal Skills
- Professional attitude
- Works well with others
- Other skills:
- Proficiency in English language (verbal and writing)
- Ability to handle stressful situations
- Must have ability to regularly lift at least 35 pounds
- Maintain valid driver's license
- Computer skills
- Basic word processing
- Spreadsheet processing
- Electronic mail
- Job Progression requirements
- Interest and capability of being promoted to Sr. Mechanic.
- Completion of FME Training Manual.
- Complete appropriate on the Job Training.
- Travel (up to 30%) may be required
- This position requires access or potential access to Unclassified Naval Nuclear Propulsion Information, which is Not Releasable to Foreign Nationals (NOFORN) data. Therefore, to meet NOFORN requirement, you will have to provide proof of US Citizenship and attest that you do not have dual citizenship. Acceptable proof of US Citizenship is a US Passport, US Birth Certificate or Naturalization Certificate
Norfolk, Virginia, United States
Location_formattedLocationLong: Norfolk, Virginia US
Community / Marketing Title: Shop Mechanic - Norfolk
Requisition Number: 2015914
EEO Employer Verbiage: