Business Unit Controller
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina US
Job Number: 23747
EnPro Industries companies are known for our focus on a Dual Bottom Line culture where we seek to enable the full release of human possibility through individual development while achieving strong financial returns. We invest in our employees and provide opportunities for them to make a difference while building a culture that reflects our core values of safety, excellence and respect. Each person is an integral part of a greater team and has a voice. If you want an opportunity to truly make an impact, and work across a collective of people who believe in each other, EnPro Industries has a career for you.
Fairbanks Morse is currently looking for an Business Unit Controller to join us out of our Charlotte location leading our aftermarket segment. The Business Unit Controller is accountable for the financial operations of the new business segment and ensures financial statements comply with industry practices, regulatory requirements, and accounting principles. This employee drives the integrity, quality, and availability of financial reporting within the startup segment. The Business Unit Controller facilitates the attainment of the aftermarket segment's profitability, growth, and strategic goals by providing in-depth financial analysis to understand and explain business drivers. This employee uses financial and business skills to evaluate operating results, detect business trends, and mitigate risks. Working with the Finance and Operations teams, the Business Unit Controller uses financial analysis and business knowledge to forecast and budget revenue and expenses. The Business Unit Controller is not only a financial expert but is also a business partner that supports segment leadership with commercial aspects of the business, including pricing and contract negotiations.
Responsibilities of the Business Unit Controller:
- Determining probability of the aftermarket business unit through ensuring ROI on investments, capital budgeting, and establishing FP&A fundamentals. Completing regular financial analysis, identifying and managing financial risk, completing financial research, performing economic and sales forecasting.
- Influencing the business as a strategic leader involved in market discussions, analyzing the segment's finances, and proposing corrective actions as needed to ensure profitability of the aftermarket business.
- Developing and improving analytical and forecasting methodologies. Responsible for the financial planning model providing regular re-forecasts of plan using actuals, including capital planning.
- Creating all tools from scratch, such as the trial balance, the General Ledge, and all other accounting systems. Monitoring and enforcing the control environment.
- Providing in-depth financial analysis to understand and explain segment drivers. Analyzing revenues and expenses and present results and recommendations for improvement.
- Working with segment leadership to develop the pricing portion of commercial proposals. This includes developing anticipated costs, profit margins, and cash flows. It also includes understanding the entire proposal to ensure both financial and business risks are understood, and the price reflects the risks.
- Developing finance team members by recruiting, training and coaching employees. Leading by example, providing finance staff with informal and formal feedback for employee development.
- Identifying opportunities to enhance controls, achieve efficiencies, increase financial transparency, or otherwise add value to the company. Leading in a manner that supports the EnPro transformation and Fairbanks Morse's values of safety, excellence, respect, integrity, responsibility, and accountability.
Required Qualifications of the Business Unit Controller:
- Completed bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance, or Business with a focus in Finance or Accounting
- 7+ years of post-graduate experience in a Finance or Accounting role utilizing an ERP system and Microsoft Excel daily
- 3+ years of finance or cost accounting experience in the manufacturing industry, preferably maritime, supply chain, or an industry related to power generation or aftermarket parts
- 3+ years of recent experience in a leadership, management, or supervisory position
Preferred Qualifications of the Business Unit Controller:
- Advanced education, such as a completed master's degree or CPA
- Experience with GAAP and government accounting standards and regulations
- Public accounting experience, including exposure to ASC 606 and SOX
Fairbanks Morse offers significant career development opportunities as well as salary and benefits packages including health and life insurance, 401(k) with company match at 6%, tuition reimbursement, and an open vacation policy.
About Fairbanks Morse
For 125 years, Fairbanks Morse has been powering the world forward with innovative distributed power generation solutions that deliver optimal performance in a wide range of applications from base load and standby in municipal, nuclear, and institutional facilities to locomotive engines, and naval and commercial-class ship propulsion and shipboard power. Reliable and dependable, their flagship Opposed Piston (OP) engine technology has been trusted for decades and has totaled over 100 million operating hours - many units with over 40 years of service. Joining the quarter century club because of how long people stick around the company due to growth and opportunity. Learn more about how Fairbanks Morse is committed to delivering power where it is needed most in the world by visiting www.fairbanksmorse.com .
EnPro Industries and companies are Equal Opportunity Employers.
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
Location_formattedLocationLong: Charlotte, North Carolina US
State: North Carolina
Community / Marketing Title: Business Unit Controller
Requisition Number: 2015919
EEO Employer Verbiage: