Electrical Controls - Engine Technician
Location: Houston, Texas US
Job Number: 25127
Controls Technician (Electrical)
Why should you join Fairbanks Morse?
For 125 years, Fairbanks Morse, a division of EnPro Industries, has been powering the world forward with innovative distributed power generation solutions that deliver optimal performance in a wide range of applications from base load and standby in municipal, nuclear, and institutional facilities to locomotive engines, and naval and commercial-class ship propulsion and shipboard power. We are most known for our flagship Opposed Piston (OP) engine technology that has been trusted for decades and has totaled over 100 million operating hours - many units with over 40 years of service.
If you have ideas and passion and want to join a world-class team, then we want to help you fulfill the dreams and passions that truly drive you. Read more about what it is like to be a part of the Fairbanks More team here: https://www.fairbanksmorse.com/careers
Fairbanks Morse invests in YOU!
By joining us, you'll have the opportunity to make the most of your potential. As a standard, you will be entitled to:
- A benefits package including: health, dental, and life insurance, 401k match at 6%, tuition reimbursement, vacation and sick time, bonus potential, and many more
- Personal development to grow your career with us based on your strengths and interests
- A working culture based on the Dual Bottom Line philosophy that balances the individual's success and growth on an equal footing to that of the company
As a Controls Technician (Electrical) at Fairbanks Morse, you will utilize your strong knowledge of electrical systems within diesel engines; including the installation, commissioning and scheduling of combustion engines. You also would have the unique experience of working with the Navy, including the potential to travel to military based locations.
Within this position, you will take full ownership of electrical maintenance activities, including:
- Installing, testing, repairing, overhauling, or commissioning of the controls systems on diesel engines at customer sites or on marine vessels
- Holding responsibility for the installation, testing, and delivery phases of the controls systems for FME engines
- Keeping up to date on all Engineering Change Orders, Field Service Change Notices and Service Information Letters
- Working with minimal direct supervision for daily operations and adhering to company safety, technical, and administrative guidelines
- Being responsive to customer needs and act as an ambassador of customer satisfaction striving to provide all customers a "first time fix" for their equipment
- Attending annual safety training requirements as outlined on regional safety schedule
What are we looking for?
- High School Diploma or GED with at least 5+ years of experience within the US Military or with a direct competitor in a similar role servicing giant diesel engines or a completed ASDT (Associate of Applied Science Diesel Technology)
- Knowledge of two and four stroke engine operating theory
- Basic understanding of gas compression and associated hazards
- Understanding of electrical systems and associated hazards
- Ability to use electrical test equipment - Multimeters, Pressure calibrators, Signal generators, Process meters
- Able to read and interpret mechanical system and electrical line diagrams and blueprints
- Ability to diagnose and repair electrical problems
- 3+ years of solid pneumatic, PLC and electronic engine controls experience
- Electrical circuit diagnosis and meter usage for: VDC, 12VDC, 24VDC, 125VDC, 120VAC, 240VAC, 480VAC, 3 phase
- Allen Bradley PLC (RSLogix 500 and RSLogix 5000) or equivalent systems
- HMI programming (Panelbuilder 32, FactoryTalk View ME) or equivalent systems
- Automation system diagnosis and troubleshooting
- End devices for the following signal type
- 4-20mA sensors
- Magnetic pickups
- Hall Effect proximity sensors
- Related cabling and terminals in automation control panels
- Standby generator and engine operation and maintenance
- Willingness to travel 75% of the time on short notice domestically and internationally (including weekends/evenings/holidays)
- Maintain a valid driver's license and own basic set of hand tools
- Ability to lift at least 35 pounds frequently
What would make you stand out?
- Completed Bachelor's Degree
- Strong mechanical aptitude
- Experience with Fairbanks Morse engines through your Military service, namely with the US Navy or Coast Guard
This position requires access or potential access to Unclassified Naval Nuclear Propulsion Information, which is Not Releasable to Foreign Nationals (NOFORN) data. Therefore, to meet NOFORN requirement, you will have to provide proof of US Citizenship and attest that you do not have dual citizenship. Acceptable proof of US Citizenship is a US Passport, US Birth Certificate or Naturalization Certificate.
EnPro Industries companies are known for our focus on a Dual Bottom Line culture where we seek to enable the full release of human possibility through individual development while achieving strong financial returns. We invest in our employees and provide opportunities for them to make a difference while building a culture that reflects our core values of safety, excellence and respect. Each person has the opportunity to truly make an impact as an integral part of a collective.
EnPro Industries are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Houston, Texas, United States
Location_formattedLocationLong: Houston, Texas US
Community / Marketing Title: Electrical Controls - Engine Technician
Requisition Number: 2016067
EEO Employer Verbiage: