Electrician - Assembly and Test
Location: Beloit, Wisconsin US
Job Number: 25800
Electrician - Assembly and Test
Why should you join Fairbanks Morse?
For 125 years, Fairbanks Morse has been powering the world forward with innovative distributed power generation solutions that deliver optimal performance in a wide range of applications from base load and standby in municipal, nuclear, and institutional facilities to locomotive engines, and naval and commercial-class ship propulsion and shipboard power. We are most known for our flagship Opposed Piston (OP) engine technology that has been trusted for decades and has totaled over 100 million operating hours - many units with over 40 years of service.
If you have ideas and passion and want to join a world-class team, then we want to help you fulfill the dreams and passions that truly drive you. Read more about what it is like to be a part of the Fairbanks Morse team here: https://www.fairbanksmorse.com/careers
Fairbanks Morse invests in YOU!
By joining us, you'll have the opportunity to make the most of your potential. As a standard, you will be entitled to:
- A benefits package including health, dental, and life insurance, 401k match at 6%, tuition reimbursement, and many more
- A working culture based on a philosophy that balances the individual's success and growth on an equal footing to that of the company
- A long history of providing the U.S. Navy with elite engines that have propelled them forward for decades, built by generations of Veterans
As an Electrician at Fairbanks Morse, you will assemble, install, and test all engine electrical equipment, wiring and components. You will also assist test personnel to troubleshoot problems that arise with electrical/electronic systems during engine run-in test. On a day-to-day, you will work and troubleshoot all electrical tasks, from measuring the cable wire needs for the engines to getting the junction box built. Beyond electrical, you will handle the sub assembly of parts, from drilling holes to placing fittings.
Within this position, you will work on electrical from start to finish, including:
- Assembling, preparing equipment for, and conducting special electric tests, military contract special governor tests and generator tests
- Making repairs to equipment involving the knowledge of mechanical or electrical principles
- Receiving assignments, wiring diagrams, engineering and vendor specifications to build electrical sub-assembly systems and then installing and wiring all electrical systems on engine
- Installing, connecting and operating various motor generator sets and electric starters
- Hooking up meters and testers to diagnose faulty operation of equipment and then making adjustments
- Checking and testing all electrical equipment and wiring, rotating equipment, voltage regulators, carbon stats, connections and equipment relays in engine to schematic wiring diagrams
- Checking operation of electronic devices such as transmitter, receiver, and amplifier
- Checking phase sequence and synchronizing test engine generator with line buss and adjusting reactive current for unity or power factor load as required
- Connecting AC/DC power supply, testing low voltage circuits, and changing buss arrangements and switches circuitry of resistor banks from AC to DC
- Operating a switchboard putting engines online or resistor bank as required, and connecting in proper sequence and operating the recording of graphic voltmeters, ammeters, kilowatt meters and frequency meters
- Mounting components of static exciter and voltage regulator in space provided, working with drawings, and connecting with proper size wire in correct phase sequence
- Troubleshooting and repairing static exciters, rectifiers, resistive load banks, and voltage regulators
- Making loading provisions for engine test, reading meter, and keeping records of engine while on test, cleaning generators and exciters, maintaining proper water level in storage batteries, and repairing switches and electrical lines in switchboard
What are we looking for?
- Experience as an electrician in an industrial environment, preferably with engine or diesel equipment manufacturing
- 3+ years of experience with a completed GED or High School Diploma
- Entry level with completed continued education or apprenticeship (see below)
- Experience installing conduit, cutting and routing cable, running wire
- Strong math skills to do conversions from millimeters to inches, converting decimals to fractions
- Ability to obtain your own hand tools to bring if not already owned
- Ability to sustain high degree of care and attention required to prevent damage to expensive equipment
What would make you stand out?
- A completed two-year degree, certificate, or diploma from an electrician program
- An electrician license in the states of Wisconsin or Illinois, or the completion of an electrician apprenticeship
- Experience with PLC programming
This position requires access or potential access to Unclassified Naval Nuclear Propulsion Information, which is Not Releasable to Foreign Nationals (NOFORN) data. Therefore, to meet NOFORN requirement, you will have to provide proof of US Citizenship and attest that you do not have dual citizenship. Acceptable proof of US Citizenship is a US Passport, US Birth Certificate or Naturalization Certificate.
Fairbanks Morse is known for its culture where it seeks to enable the full release of human possibility through individual development while achieving strong financial returns. We invest in our employees and provide opportunities for them to make a difference while building a culture that reflects our core values of safety, excellence and respect. Each person has the opportunity to truly make an impact as an integral part of a collective.
Fairbanks Morse are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Beloit, Wisconsin, United States
Location_formattedLocationLong: Beloit, Wisconsin US
Community / Marketing Title: Electrician - Assembly and Test
Requisition Number: 2016225
EEO Employer Verbiage: