Chevron Prep Operator
Job Number: 124
The Garlock family of companies manufactures industrial sealing and pipeline protection products. We are industry leaders focused on continuous improvement and customer satisfaction.
We're always seeking candidates who share our values of innovation, customer satisfaction, and employee empowerment. As a division of EnPro Industries, we offer employees nearly unlimited opportunities to develop their professional interests and passions while also giving them the tools and resources to pursue their personal fulfillment outside of work.
- Sets up foot operated knife involving adjustment of a stop on table to obtain blank length.
- Sets up and operates air activated device to crimp rubber ends together.
- Uses power hoist after selecting stock to lift heavy reels of strip stock from and to storage
- Calendars stock prior to cutting as required.
- Stacks blanks in trays, maybe required to dips ends into cement prior to placing into trays.
- Records amount of strip stock required to produce order, maintains Chevron stock inventory and records production of blanks cut daily.
- Set up and operate (2) Spindle lathe.
- Cuts material and wrap on mandrels, place on rollers to press material together for spindle lathe operation.
- Sets-up and operates USM-Samco Press and/or Bliss Power Press to produce mold blanks from rubberized fabric sheet or roll stock.
- Performs set-up and major adjustment of both presses, recognizes operating problems such as damaged punches, defective stock and changes in press operation.
- Works from order cards and verbal instructions.
- Retrieves own material for operation and is able to identify different styles and types of stock
- Plys-up stock as needed.
- Applies release agent to dies and stock as necessary; cleans foreign particles from die and adjusts air nozzle for proper ejection of part.
- Maintains inventory of woodback dies and performs minor repair, such as rubbering-up on dies.
- Sets up and operates folding machines, slitting machines for the manufacture of Chevron rings or coil stock and other regular or special applications.
- Works from work order or specifications to determine size, style, and procedures.
- Sets up machinery when using slitting material, adjusts knives, positioning of core and flanges on automatic winders, adjusting stock guides and placing roll of material in machine holder.
- Guides stock as it feeds in machine and tacks ends or breaks in material together with hammers.
- Sets up and operates folding machines to combine two or more center and cover strips to form a single solid strip of required dimensions.
- Works with engineering to develop specifications for new ring sizes and changes in present rings requiring the establishment of center and cover ply requirements, folding procedures, and finish product dimensions.
- Prepares samples and evaluates quality of product after molding to determine any needed changes.
- Performs material handling necessary to complete all work assignments
- Maintains required data including production records.
- Rolls and forms rubberized fabric material into ring form for use in the manufacture of Chevron rings.
- Cuts strips of rubberized material to proper length prior to staging order.
- Wraps material around steel mandrel, fastens ends together, and using fingers, rolls and pulls material to form rings
- Verifies correct weight of first pieces by weighting ring and balance scale against sample ring.
- Uses metal forms, plates, and hand tools to complete work assignments as necessary.
- Delivers completed work to a designated drop area clean and orderly.
- Rolls and forms rubberized fabric ring blanks to be used for manufacture of molded rings for special applications and for prototype Chevron ring orders.
- Works with engineering personnel to evaluate and establish procedures for the manufacture of special rings requiring multiple plies, new materials, or use of metal forms and plates.
- Advises the Slitter Operator in fabric strip dimensions and quantities needed to produce new orders
- Keeps work area clean.
- Performs other jobs assigned by Supervisor.
- High School diploma or equivalent required
- Proficiency in the set up and operation of the various production equipment is required
- Knowledge of the styles and types of stocks and an understanding of the work routines and performance standards of the jobs.
- Previous manufacturing experience prefered
POSTURE: Standing, sitting
MAXIMUM WEIGHT TO BE LIFTED: 30 lbs ( anything over 30 lbs requires two people or mechanical devices )
FREQUENCY PER SHIFT: 5% - 10%
REPETITIVE MOTION TASKS: Varies with assignments: arm, shoulder, leg movements
DURATION OF SHIFT: 50% - 80% ( varies with assignment)
WORKING CONDITIONS: fumes, dirt, dust, noise, heat, liquid rubber cement, water
EnPro Industries companies, including Garlock, are known for their focus on a Dual Bottom Line culture where we seek to enable the full release of human possibility through individual development while achieving strong financial returns. We invest in our employees and provide opportunities for them to make a difference while building a culture that reflects our core values of safety, excellence and respect. Each person has the opportunity to truly make an impact as an integral part of a collective.
EnPro Industries are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status
Palmyra, New York, United States
18.83 - USD
Job Number: 2016489
Community / Marketing Title: Chevron Prep Operator
Location_formattedLocationLong: Palmyra, New York US